10 Strategies for Promoting Healthy Permanent Weight Loss

3. Learn how to control emotional eating


I want to address emotional eating because it's a huge part of my weight loss journey. Recently, my boyfriend and I called it quits. It's been a rough couple of weeks and that was the reason for my hiatus. I needed some time to put together my thoughts and to figure out if I should openly discuss the break-up on my blog. After much thinking, I came to the realization that my relationships with people are an important part of my weight loss. My emotions take over my conscience and my food intake changes. I've noticed that any time I had an argument or I felt rejected, I would turn to food and it didn't matter what or how much I ate. I was lost in the emotions and I felt better... temporarily. I drank a little more and I ate some things that I wouldn't eat on a typical day. 

With my break-up this week I had to find other outlets for my anger and hurt. I decided to not turn to food for the first time and I don't feel as though I'm missing anything. I feel comforted by the fact that I didn't let food take over. Although this is just the first couple of days, I am proud of myself. Unfortunately, my body gave into the stress and finally broke down and now I'm sick. This has been the only downfall this week (so far). One of the things that I helped me get through this emotional time is music. Especially this song by Katy Perry.



It was important for me to find comfort in something other than food. This song truly expresses how I feel and I connected with it. I found power in a song that talks about moving forward and living for yourself. That's how I have to control emotional eating. I need to remember that although all these bad things are happening around me, it's still my responsibility to take care of myself... no matter what. I have to remember, every single day, that I, Kristen, am strong. 




How are you controlling your emotional eating?

Until next time, stay strong and keep smiling.


5 thought(s):

  1. Awww, so sorry Kristen. Let's get PLAY-DOH! Well, you know I LOVE to eat, and, yes, much of it is tied to emotional eating (a lot of stress from my job or school, feeling bored), and then I run a lot because (a) I love to run and (b) because I have to burn extra calories for all the pigging out I usually do. But I'm trying to be more responsible and plan my food out more, so that I can be faster when I run and not have to make up for binge eating by running 2 hours for every day that I do <- which hasn't been happening lately because I'm making other things like homework and social life priorities over running...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and look at you! You look great and are losing weight! I can see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love food too. Deep, deep down. hehe I just need to control my eating a lot more (especially when I'm feeling sad or stressed). I'm starting to walk/run so I hope that helps!

      Let's support each other!

      Kristen

      Delete
  3. Emotional eating is a tough one for so many people I think. I few weeks ago, I was having a tough time with work. I was depressed and tired. If it wasn't for the fact that my family needed to look after them, I would have happily curled up in bed with some cheesecake.

    Good for you for resisting the urge to eat despite your emotions.

    Sorry about your break up, but I am a firm beliver that everything happens for a reason. Maybe you will find someone to encourage you, push you harder to reach the goals you want to acheive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Some days I just want to stay home and sleep all day. That would make me so happy - but I know that instead, I need to get out of the house and do something.

      Thank you Amy. I, too, believe that everything happens for a reason. Sometimes accepting the will of the universe is difficult.

      Kristen

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...