It Starts with Food

I'm not going to lie. This isn't my first blog. It probably won't be my last either. However, I'm hoping that writing in this blog satisfies a part of me that is yet to be satisfied. This blog is more or less about my health journey. I'm searching for a way to stay positive and motivated and hopefully writing about it and showing some pictures will help. If it doesn't help me, maybe it'll help someone else. I find that the blogging community is a great place to find the support of people who share the same interests or have experienced similar struggles. I hope that I can be that person for another. And so now, without further ado, here is my first entry. Here's to "new beginnings". 
For dinner tonight I made "Cauliflower Pizza," I originally discovered the recipe through a co-worker who found it on Lauren Conrad's website. The original recipe can be found at Eat. Drink. Smile. If you don't feel like clicking over, here's the recipe: 

Ingredients
  • 1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower 
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese 
  • 1 egg, beaten  
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano 
  • ½ teaspoon crushed garlic 
  • ½ teaspoon garlic salt 
  • olive oil (optional) 
  • pizza sauce, shredded cheese and choice of your toppings*
Instructions
To "rice" the Cauliflower: Take 1 large head of fresh cauliflower, remove stems and leaves, and chop the florets into chunks. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like grain. Do not over-do pulse or you will puree it. (If you don't have a food processor, you can grate the whole head with a cheese grater). Place the riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes. There is no need to add water, as the natural moisture in the cauliflower is enough to cook itself. One large head should produce approximately 3 cups of riced cauliflower. The remainder can be used to make additional pizza crusts immediately, or can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
 
To Make the Pizza Crust:
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Add oregano, crushed garlic and garlic salt, stir. Transfer to the cookie sheet, and using your hands, pat out into a 9" round. Optional: Brush olive oil over top of mixture to help with browning.
  3. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
  4. Remove from oven.
  5. To the crust, add sauce, toppings and cheese. Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted (approximately 3-4 minutes).
*Note: Toppings need to be precooked since you are only broiling for a few minutes.
I've made the pizza before so I knew what I was doing. However, I over processed the cauliflower which I think made the finished product a bit mushy. Here are some pictures from tonight's pizza making! 
Zucchinis, grilled eggplant, and garlic ready to go.
"Riced" cauliflower

The crust baking in the oven. In this moment I am hoping I used enough PAM so it doesn't stick...
Sautéing zucchini in a teaspoon of olive oil.
Look at the crust having a difficult time coming off the foil!!!
Getting ready for the cheese. This could have used more veggies. 
YUM! Mozzarella!!! Just 1/3 cup of it... 
Time to enjoy!

And there you have it, delicious cauliflower pizza that won't hurt your calorie intake and it's a hit with the carnivores in your family! Oh - I didn't mention it, huh? I'm kind of a vegetarian who tends to enjoy fish from time to time.... like you've never heard THAT one before! 
Until next time, keep smiling! 
Kristen 

2 thought(s):

  1. Yum! I'm going to make it one day. We can make it together! Also, I am going to Pin it and Tweet it! ;) -Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Yes, definitely! It's the most delicious pizza ever.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...